When is the best time to travel to Vietnam?
As one of the very countries starting with letter V listed on Countryaah, Vietnam is a great travel destination that offers great experiences for the whole family.
The golden sandy beaches of Phú Quốc, the mysterious atmosphere of lantern light in Hội An, the hustle and bustle of the streets in the city of Hồ Chí Minh and the fascinating little alleys in the capital Hanoi are just examples of all this long land has to offer.
But when is the best time to travel to Vietnam?
Read more and see when you should book your own trip to Vietnam.
NOTE: The guide below is for guidance only
Vietnam is a year-round travel destination!
The country is very long and extends as far as 1650 km from north to south. This also means that Vietnam is located in two climate zones. Therefore, the weather varies considerably throughout the year depending on whether you are in North, Central or South Vietnam.
For the same reason, it is not possible to say unequivocally when is the best time to travel to Vietnam. What matters most is which part of the country you want to travel to.
Two monsoons from Vietnam
The two monsoons, the southwest monsoon and the northeast monsoon, have a major impact on the weather in Vietnam at different times of the year.
- The southwest monsoon runs from April to September and brings with it moist and hot weather.
- The Northeast Monsoon runs from October to April, when the weather is drier and cooler.
The monsoons have a particularly large impact on the weather in Vietnam, but local conditions also affect what kind of weather prevails in different parts of the country at any given time.
Differences between north and south
Vietnam’s two climate zones and two monsoons mean that the country’s weather can vary considerably depending on what time of year and which country you are traveling to.
North Vietnam can be divided into two regions: the coastal region, where Hanoi and Halong are located, and the inland mountain region, where e.g. Sapa.
Although both areas are located in a subtropical climate zone, the weather conditions are quite different depending on the higher the mountain range.
The dry season lasts from about November to March:
Coastal areas in the dry season are characterized by:
- Lowest temperatures of the year.
- The coldest months from December to February are also the driest months
- In March, temperatures will start to rise again.
In the Sapa and mountains, the dry season is characterized by:
- Cold weather from December to February, when it can even be frost, and snowfall is not uncommon.
- The weather can also be quite foggy during this period.
- In March and April the weather is still dry, clear and very sunny
The rainy season lasts from about April to October:
In coastal areas, the rainy season is characterized by:
- High temperatures. The warmest months are from June to August.
- With warm weather, rains come. Humidity is high and heavy rainfall can also occur here.
- The wettest months are July and August.
In Sapa and the mountains, the rainy season is characterized by:
- As the name implies, it rains often during the rainy season, but most rains are made in July and August.
- Temperatures are temperate during the day, but may be cooler in the evening.
The best time to travel to the coastal areas of North Vietnam is: spring or fall.
Hanoi is at its best from September to November. During these months, the weather is clear and there will be very little rainfall. However, the temperatures are cooler (and perhaps also more pleasant) than during the other months. It is worth traveling to Halong Bay in the spring or autumn, when the sky is clear and the daytime temperatures are pleasant.
The best time to travel to Sapa and the mountains is: March to April, when the weather is dry and sunny, and October to November, when the rice terraces are at their most beautiful and the weather is clearer.
|Hanoi weather statistics:||OAK||PEARL||PAINTING||APRIL||MAY||SUMMER||HAY||LIFE||AUTUMN||MUD||MARRAS||CHRISTMAS|
|Average. highest temperature||19||19||23||26||31||32||32||32||31||28||24||21|
|Average. lowest temperature||15||15||18||21||24||25||26||26||25||22||19||15|
|Weather statistics for Sapa area (Lao Cai):||OAK||PEARL||PAINTING||APRIL||MAY||SUMMER||HAY||LIFE||AUTUMN||MUD||MARRAS||CHRISTMAS|
|Average. highest temperature||13||14||18||21||24||24||24||24||23||20||17||15|
|Average. lowest temperature||7||8||11||13||16||18||18||18||16||13||11||8|
In central Vietnam, such as Huế and Hội An, the weather is more variable.
The dry season lasts from about January to August and is characterized by:
- Warm weather throughout the season
- Especially from May to August, the weather can be really warm, and during the day the temperature can rise up to 40 degrees.
- Rainfall is correspondingly low.
The rainy season lasts from about September to December and is characterized by:
- Warm weather and very humid air
- Rainfall is common throughout the season, but rains most in October and November.
- Between August and November, the western Pacific has a typhoon season, when strong winds can also hit central Vietnam.
The best time to travel to Central Vietnam is: between February and April. The air is mild and there will be very little rain. If the heat doesn’t bother you, you can also travel between May and August. During these months, however, we need to be prepared for rainier weather.
|Hoi An weather statistics:||OAK||PEARL||PAINTING||APRIL||MAY||SUMMER||HAY||LIFE||AUTUMN||MUD||MARRAS||CHRISTMAS|
|Average. highest temperature||24||26||28||31||33||35||34||33||31||29||27||25|
|Average. lowest temperature||19||20||22||24||25||26||26||25||24||23||20||20|
The city of Ho Chi Minh City, the Mekong Estuary, the holiday island Phú Quốc and other parts of South Vietnam enjoy a tropical climate. Temperatures in this area are virtually the same all year round.
The dry season lasts from about December to April and is characterized by:
- Sunny weather, very high temperatures and lower humidity than during the dry season.
- From the end of February, the weather will become even warmer and the humidity will rise.
- The warmest months of the year are April and May
The rainy season lasts from about May to November and is characterized by:
- Extremely high temperatures throughout the season, with daytime temperatures of up to 40-45 degrees are not uncommon
- High rainfall and high humidity.
- The rainy season coincides with roughly the same period as the southwest monsoon.
- The rains come mostly in the afternoons, with the most rains in June, July and August.
- During the rainy season, floods can cause problems in the Mekong estuary and on the holiday island of Phú Quốc, for example.
The best time to travel to South Vietnam is: December and April (dry season). During this time, the air is warm, but there is less rainfall and the humidity is lower than during the rainy season. Also note that the south can get really hot, especially during the rainy season, when the humidity makes the air feel even warmer.
|Ho Chi Minh City Weather Statistics:||OAK||PEARL||PAINTING||APRIL||MAY||SUMMER||HAY||LIFE||AUTUMN||MUD||MARRAS||CHRISTMAS|
|Average. highest temperature||32||33||34||34||34||32||32||32||31||31||31||31|
|Average. lowest temperature||22||23||24||26||26||25||24||25||25||24||23||22|
|Phu Quoc Weather Statistics:||OAK||PEARL||PAINTING||APRIL||MAY||SUMMER||HAY||LIFE||AUTUMN||MUD||MARRAS||CHRISTMAS|
|Average. highest temperature||31||31||32||34||33||32||31||31||31||31||30||30|
|Average. lowest temperature||22||22||23||24||24||24||24||24||24||24||23||22|
Do you want to travel to Vietnam?
Vietnam’s climate varies greatly from north to south, so the best time to travel can be difficult to decide.
No matter when you decide to travel, you are guaranteed to have a memorable vacation.
Do you want to travel to Vietnam?
Please note that the guide is for guidance only. If you are not sure of the most suitable time for you to travel, you can always ask our travel advisers for advice.